Intimacy during pregnancy has its own nuances. Until now, couples while carrying a baby adhere to completely different tactics. Some abandon intimacy altogether, others reduce it to a minimum and make it as quiet as possible, while others do not change their sexual habits. Only the couple themselves can determine the strategy of sexual behavior, taking into account the recommendations of the doctor, but what to do if a woman has pain after sex during pregnancy? Is it safe to have sex in this trembling period, and what rules should be followed for the safety of the fetus.
Is it safe to have sex during pregnancy?
For a long time it was thought that making love during pregnancy is strictly forbidden. As it could provoke premature birth, to cause harm to the baby, the abdomen hurts after sex during pregnancy and there are other adverse effects.
Modern medicine has comprehensively studied this issue. Doctors say in one voice, measured sex is not harmful to the baby and the mother. Here’s why:
- The level of vibration experienced by the placenta during sex is not unlike that of walking.
- Intimacy cannot provoke premature birth.
- The baby is well protected in the womb, and its location completely eliminates the possibility of any physical trauma.
While generally safe, activity can cause painful sensations. This may be due to various provoking factors. About them we will talk further.
Causes of pain pulling after sex during pregnancy
If you notice that intercourse leads to abdominal pain after sex during pregnancy, you need to figure out the causes. It is best to do this in the doctor’s office, but before going to a specialist, let’s try to identify the main causes of lower abdominal pain.
- Infectious diseases. Pulling your abdomen after sex? Pay attention to the symptoms of thrush (which often accompanies pregnant women because of hormonal changes in the body).
- A common cause of pain is psychosomatic. The abdomen may pull because of fear of harming the pregnancy. A woman closes down emotionally, which prevents her from relaxing physically.
- During pregnancy, it is necessary to use additional lubricants. Often the abdomen hurts after sex during pregnancy due to the inability of the uterus to produce the necessary amount of natural lubrication.
- The muscle tone of the uterus can cause discomfort, up to and including intolerable pain.
- Venous stasis. Irregular sexual intercourse, difficulty in obtaining orgasm, a long period of abstinence, which often happens in the first weeks of pregnancy. All this leads to venous stasis, which causes abdominal pain after sex during pregnancy.
To avoid painful sensations, you need to consider the peculiarities of intercourse during pregnancy in each week.
Features of intimacy in different trimesters
Each trimester has its own peculiarities. This applies not only to intercourse, but also to lifestyle in general. Let’s understand the peculiarities of each in order to avoid negative consequences:
- The first trimester is characterized by a decrease in female libido. The body completely rebuilds to carry the baby. Toxicosis, changes in the figure, psychological stress. All this negatively affects sex in general, and can cause abdominal pain after sex during pregnancy.
- In the second trimester, a woman’s sexual activity increases. During this period, multiple orgasms, irresistible attraction to the partner are possible. In the absence of contraindications, sex during this period is not only safe, but even desirable. At the same time, a girl may complain that her stomach hurts after sex during pregnancy. In this case it is worth to have a consultation with a gynecologist.
- Sex in the third trimester is possible, but you should be careful. First, it may cause stimulation of labor. Secondly, painful sensations may occur. Thirdly, late sex as a rule causes discomfort to both partners because of a greatly enlarged belly.
Painful sensations is one of the contraindications to an active sex life until you consult your doctor.
How to avoid painful sensations after intercourse?
To avoid abdominal pain after sex during pregnancy, you need to take a few simple steps. One of the most important is to find out the cause of the pain. This will help build the right strategy and avoid negative consequences in subsequent acts.
Also, to prevent the appearance of an unpleasant situation will help you:
- Using lubricant during intercourse. Choose the right product for both partners.
- If you are wondering if it is safe to have sex, it is worth seeing a doctor. Counseling will help you relax and gain emotional confidence in your actions.
- Choose comfortable positions for making love. This is one of the most important factors for pain-free intercourse.
If you find it difficult to relax, it is worth resorting to aromatherapy, spending time together over a delicious (but not dense) dinner, lighting the lights and playing music. Anything that relaxes you, helps to avoid discomfort during intercourse.
Contraindications to having sex during pregnancy
However, sometimes no amount of precautions will help you keep yourself and your baby safe. Some contraindications categorically veto physical contact.
- If your abdomen hurts after sex during pregnancy due to high uterine tonus, it is better to refuse sex for a while.
- A weighty prohibition is the threat of pregnancy termination.
- It is also not worth the risk of multiple pregnancies, especially in the first and third trimester.
- Rupture of the fetal bladder is a good reason to postpone sex until later.
- If your abdomen hurts after sex during pregnancy, before sex and during sex. Any sharp pain is a reason to postpone activity, and see a doctor.
- Contraindication – risk of premature opening of the cervix.
- Placenta previa.
- If there is an outflow of amniotic fluid.
We hope we have solved the question if it is safe to have sex during pregnancy. The most important thing that a woman should remember during pregnancy – the comfort of the expectant mother. Any activity, including sexual, should be comfortable, to cause only positive emotions.