Why is my skin dry and flaky after childbirth?
Dry skin after childbirth is a common problem for women after childbirth. At this time, the skin becomes more sensitive, it may peel, it can become inflamed at the slightest injury.
There are several reasons for dry skin:
1) Changes in hormonal background. During pregnancy, a high level of hormones has a favorable effect on the skin, giving it elasticity and firmness. However, after childbirth the situation changes dramatically, there are changes that cannot but affect the condition of the skin. The skin of the body becomes dry, flabby without any visible reasons, it would seem.
2) Lack of water. The skin needs constant moisturizing both inside and outside. This is especially a problem for mothers who breastfeed their babies. Here, it is important to follow the drinking regimen and adjust the feeding regimen to it.
3) Nutritional imbalances and vitamin deficiencies. During pregnancy, a woman can afford a good night’s sleep (sleep when you’re tired) and eating at will (that is, eating when you’re hungry). However, this pace of life may change with the birth of the baby. Eating intermittent meals and lack of sleep take a toll on your skin.
4) External factors. Being outdoors also exposes the skin to several challenges, such as wind, sunlight, and dry air. All of these are damaging to the skin if a woman is outdoors for an extended period of time. Although there are risks at home, too, as heaters are also quite detrimental to the skin.
5) Insufficient care. Many moms completely forget about themselves and their appearance after the birth of the baby, giving all of themselves to the baby and the worries about him. You should not forget about the daily simple procedures, at least such as cleansing and moisturizing.
6) Improper use of cosmetics, mistakes in care. Bad skin can be caused by washing your skin with harsh water and soaps, as well as by using products that are not suitable for your skin type.
So what can you do to restore your skin its former firmness, elasticity and radiance?
If your body skin has become dry and flaky after childbirth, you need to address this as soon as possible. Here are some basic recommendations:
– It is worth to establish a drinking regime. Every person should drink about two liters of water per day, but a woman in the pregnancy needs much more water, as most of the liquid is needed for the formation of breast milk.
– A nutritious diet will help to make up for the lack of vitamins. It is recommended to pay special attention to this aspect, as proper nutrition not only helps to have beautiful skin, but also has a positive effect on the overall condition of the mother and baby. More vegetables, fruits, fish and greens – this is what a nursing woman needs. A nutritionist nutritionist at momslab.com will help you to prepare a competent menu that will be varied and balanced.
– Sleep Mode. During sleep, the body rests and the skin is renewed. It is desirable to sleep about 8 hours a night. Of course, not everyone has the opportunity to sleep so much continuously, you can divide your sleep into night and daytime sleep. If this is difficult, you can ask for help from your husband or close relatives. Let them take care of the baby while the mother is resting.
– The right choice of care products. Do not buy products that contain alcohol and lanolin.
– Use protective equipment when outdoors, especially for long walks in windy or dry hot weather. Be sure to wear a panama or cap to protect you from the sun. Wearing gloves is mandatory in the cold season.
– It is necessary to give your skin at least 15 minutes a day. Proper cleansing and moisturizing are daily procedures. Once a week you can use scrubs, as well as do dry body massage with a brush. If the skin of the hands after childbirth is dry and cracked, it is necessary every day before going to bed to lubricate them with moisturizing or nourishing cream and wear cotton gloves. After a few such procedures, the condition of the skin of the hands will noticeably improve.
– It is also recommended to visit spas, where there are all sorts of services to improve the condition of the skin and the body as a whole. But not always moms have time to visit salons. With dry skin on the body and hands can be done at home such a procedure called oiling. It is done as follows: after shower or bath, apply a generous layer of oil on the whole body, so that the skin glistens, and the oil runs down it slightly. Wait in the bath for about 15-20 minutes. This time can be devoted to washing your face, brushing your teeth, etc. Then rinse the oil with plain water or organic scrub. After that, wipe with a towel, blotting the excess oil. After such a procedure the skin will look great, and you will definitely lift your spirits.
– If the reason for the bad skin is a hormonal imbalance, you should be patient. In a couple of months everything will pass by itself.
– If the skin does not recover and there are suspicions of some skin diseases (atopic dermatitis, psoriasis, etc.), it is worth to go to a specialist and take the necessary tests.